Tokyo Anime Award Festival 2018 (TAAF2018) calls for unique animation works with high potential and strong messages, both feature and short animation, from all over the world. Our aim is to screen high-quality animation works superior in originality, provide opportunities to inspire audience as well as creators, cultivate new talents, and contribute in the development and promotion of animation cultures and industry.
Festival Period: March 9 (Fri)-12 (Mon), 2018 (scheduled)
Venue: Ikebukuro, Tokyo
*Any animation works longer than 30 min. but less than 60 min. shall be applied to the category of Feature Animation first. The TAAF Office will contact the applicant later to notify which category is appropriate for the work.
- Work must have been completed on, or after, January 1, 2016 (regardless of country of origin, and whether it is professional, amateur or student work).
- Work that has been theatrically released, broadcast, or distributed for profit in Japan for a certain period prior to March 8, 2018 is not eligible for the Competition (such work would qualify under the “Anime of the Year” category). Screening at film festivals and previews are not considered “for profit” herein.
- Work that has been nominated to TAAF in the past will not accepted.
- No submission fee is required.
- The application deadlines are as follows:
Tuesday, October 31, 2017 for Short Animation
Fryday, November 10, 2017 for Feature Animation
- Once submissions have closed, the Preliminary Selection Committee will select the nominees for the final judging. Result of the selection process will be communicated to successful applicants, and the list of Nominated Works will be posted on the TAAF2018 official website.
- The screening material should be either of the following:
Apple ProRes (1920 x 1080 pix.) or DCP.
- Nominated Works will be publicly screened at designated theaters during the Festival period in Tokyo, during which time final judging will be conducted by the Competition Jury.
- The screening schedule will be announced after the primarily selection at TAAF2018 official website.
- The following prizes are awarded to excellent works:
Grand Prize (both for Feature and Short, cash award of 500,000 yen)
Award of Excellence (both for Feature and Short, cash award of 100,000 yen)
and other prizes (if applicable).
Please read this outline and application guideline carefully before your application.
We look forward to your application for TAAF2018.
Tokyo Anime Award Festival Office
(The Association of Japanese Animations)
Winners of TAAF2017
Feature Animation for Competition of TAAF2017
Grand Prize：The Girl Without Hands （Director: Sébastien Laudenbach）
Award of Excellence：My Life as a Courgette （Director: Claude Barras）
©Pyramide international. | ©My Life as a Courgette
Short Animation for Competition of TAAF2017
Grand Prize：Of Shadows and Wings… （Director: Elice Meng and Eleonora Marinoni）
Award of Excellence：“Spider web ““The Gossamer” （Director: Natalia Chernysheva）
© Vivement Lundi ! / Nadasdy Film 2015 | ©Natalia Chernysheva