Tokyo Anime Award Festival 2016 International Competition
Category: Short Animation Film Regulations
The Tokyo Anime Award Festival 2016 (“TAAF2016”) is an international animation film festival held in Tokyo in 18th to 21st March, 2016.
1. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Short Animation Film Competition: Films must not exceed 30 minutes.
- Films have to be completed after Jan 1st, 2014, and may not have been screened in Japan for commercial purposes.
- Works previously entered cannot be accepted anymore.
- No application fee is required.
- Dead line : Submissions before 15th November, 2015.
- The result of the Preliminary Selection will be informed to the applicants by email and on this web site.
- Films that will be nominated on International competitions will be screened at TAAF2016 (TOHO CINEMAS Nihonbashi) in the presence of international Jury members.
- Short films have to be available for Festival screening on QuickTime ProRes 4:2:2 1920 x 1080.
You can apply the international competition via fill out the form on TAAF2016 website http://animefestival.jp/en/ (Red submission button on this page)
- Fill out the application form on TAAF2016 website(Japanese/English) and upload.
Don’t forget to upload required materials as follows:
- Photos of the ﬁlm : 3 photos(1920x1080pix(over300dpi)jpeg)
- Photo of the director’s face : 1 photo(1920x1080pix(over300dpi)jpeg)
Please upload the film on a streaming service (Vimeo, YouTube, Cinando, DailyMotion etc.) and specify the URL and password on the application form. The ﬁlm must be stream able on the Internet till Sat, March 31, 2016.
- Film must have English subtitles or be submitted with an English dialogue list synchronized with the time code.
Please contact TAAF Executive Committee Office Office, if it is necessary.
1) Screening format
The films selected for the TAAF2016 International Competitions will be shown on the following format that must be provided by the applicant:
- QuickTime ProRes 4:2:2 1920x1080pix
The applicants, by submitting the film, accepts that all the costs associated with the ProRes 4:2:2 exported file shall be borne by himself, the producer, or distributor of the film.
- The work submitted is reviewed and screened in Japanese and English.
- If the work contains dialogues in any language other than Japanese, please submit your film with English subtitles + an English time-coded dialogue list.
- TAAF2016 prepares Japanese translation of the works with English dialogues at its own expenses.
3) Preliminary Selection/Final Selection
- The works for the Final Selection (TAAF2016 Official Selection) are selected by TAAF2016 programmers and juries.
- The result of the Preliminary Selection is informed to the applicants of the selected works by e-mail from TAAF2016 Executive Committee Office.
- The selected works are publicly screened for the Final Selection by the juries during TAAF2016 festival.
- TAAF2016 will not accept any cancellation for the Final Selection, nor answer any inquiry about the reasons for the selection.
4) Juries of TAAF2016 Final Selection
- The Juries for TAAF2016 Final Selection comprise three or more people selected from different disciplines.
- Each jury member shall not be involved in the production and/or distribution of any work which may fall under the application requirements of TAAF2016 International competition above.
- The jury shall select the works for the following prizes through impartial and deep deliberation:
- Grand Prize (500,000 yen).
- Best Film Award (100,000 yen).
- Other than the prizes above, TAAF Executive Committee Office may set special or additional prizes awarded by arbitrary organizations.
4. INVITATION / REGISTRATION
TAAF 2016 invites the director or producer of nominated ﬁlms according to the following conditions;
- Director living in Japan (out of the Tokyo metropolitan area)
- Accommodation fees during TAAF2016 period. (Only 1 director, Maximum 3 nights, single room)
- Director not living in Japan
- Accommodation fee during TAAF2016 period. (Only 1 director, Maximum 3 nights, single room)
TAAF2016 shall not bear any cost other than above.
The details will be informed to invited director from TAAF2016 Festival oﬃce.
The copyright of the work submitted belongs to each applicant. The applicant must be the copyright holder of the ﬁlms. If the ﬁlm submitted is based on an original work or contains any existing elements, including novels, screenplays, characters, scenarios, footage materials or music, of any other work, the applicants (producer) of such ﬁlm must obtain prior consent from the author or creator of the said original work or the element contained. Application by proxy may be accepted subject to prior consent by the copyright holder.
All applicants are deemed to understand and accept that TAAF2016 may use a part (3 min. or shorter) or the trailer of the submitted works, as well as any other materials submitted, including photos of the works for the purpose of promotion of TAAF2016
2. Screening and Materials during International Competition
- All costs for shipping, insurance and custom clearance associated with the materials for the international competition must be borne by each applicant.
- TAAF2016 will make an utmost eﬀort to screening the ﬁlm submitted in accordance with the speciﬁcation above in the best environment.
- By submitting the applicant declares that no screening fee will be demanded (by the producer/distributor or director) for the selected works that will be screened at TAAF 2016 competitions.
- TAAF2016 will be responsible for the materials submitted from the point of receipt till the screening and compensate for any loss or damage to the materials to the extent of the costs required to copy or resend such materials.
- However TAAF2016 shall not bear any responsibility for technical problems during the screening of any ﬁlms out of speciﬁcation.
- The films nominated for the International competition will be shown 2 or 3 times during the festival period.
- TAAF2016 will not pay any fees for above screenings during the festival period.
- The materials for the screening are basically not returned. Please contact TAAF2016 if it is necessary.
The TAAF Executive Committee and juries will not accept any objection or inquiry in connection with the results of the primary selection and International Competition. TAAF2016 Festival oﬃce could not answer any kind of question about selection.
4.Promotion and Archives
- Promotion of TAAF2016
Extracts of selected ﬁlms of International Competition will be shown on TAAF2016 oﬃcial website and other Media(broadcasting, News media on Internet and so on) for the purpose of promotion.
Archives Materials of all nominated ﬁlms on International Competition will be stored in TAAF2016 oﬃcial website Archives for a certain period.
5. Special Screening
TAAF2016 may hold a special screening (other than the pre‐ scheduled screening for the International competition) of the selected ﬁlms and may also return or hold a screening tour of the selected ﬁlms after TAAF2016 period.
If TAAF will hold a special screening, it will be decided upon separate consultation.
6. Broadcast and Packages
TAAF2016 may broadcast or distribute DVD (or Blue‐ray) of the Nominated ﬁlms for the promotion purpose and to extend animation culture.
In such case, it will be decided upon separate consultation.
And, permission will be asked for the applicant in advance, and an agreement on non‐exclusive right of public transmission or video distribution will be signed.
It shall be deemed that all applicants agreed to TAAF2016 notiﬁcations and regulations when submitting all ﬁlms to the competition and inform the right holders, producers and distributors of the content of these notifications and regulations.
TAAF2016 Executive Committee Office (contact/address)
Any inquiries are accepted only via email or the inquiry form on TAAF 2016 official web site.
OFFCIAL WEB SITE http://animefestival.jp/en/
Tokyo Anime Award Festival Executive Committee Office
(at The Association of Japanese Animations)
UDX4F, 4-14-1 SotoKanda Chiyoda-ku Tokyo 101-0021, JAPAN
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org